Rename stuff

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Given that commands should be named by what they do, not how they work, and also because the "ADO" moniker is used nowhere in the .NET framework

Get-AdoConnection -> New-DbConnection

Get-AdoDataProvider -> Get-DbProvider

Invoke-AdoCommand -> Invoke-DbCommand

any thoughts?

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I wasn't involved in those commands.  I'm OK with renaming as long as we create functions that Write-Warning about being deprecated but then forward to the new names.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM

How long do you expect to keep deprecated warnings around? You should stamp these deprecation functions with dates and version numbers so you can remove them effectively in future releases (just thinking in text here).

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:38 PM

@jachymko sure, rename away.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I'd also rename Send-/Receive-MSMQMessage to MSMQueue for better discoverability and consistency. What do you think?

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM
Not sure I agree. Powershell ships with send-mailmessage, not send-mailserver.

On Friday, October 9, 2009, jachymko <> wrote:
> From: jachymko I'd also rename Send-/Receive-MSMQMessage to MSMQueue for better discoverability and consistency. What do you think? Read the full discussion online <>. To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed] <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', '[email removed]?subject\x3d[Pscx:70960]');>) To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed] <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', '[email removed]');> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings <> on Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at

404 signature missing
Oct 10, 2009 at 2:13 AM
But PowerShell does not ship with Test-MailServer, New-MailServer and Clear-MailServer.
And more importantly, sending and receiving messages is more of an operation on the _queue_ than on the message. Receiving/Sending from/to a MSMQ queue significantly modifies the server state, whereas sending a mail does virtually nothing to the SMTP server. Just my $.02...
Oct 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Please add the appropriate backward compatibility support for the old names in the deprecated module - following the established pattern in that module.  I don't see any entries in the deprecated module for this yet.  Please add them.  Believe it or not, we do have some folks relying on PSCX in a production environment and I work with some of them.  We can't just go willy nilly breaking things unless there is a good reason.  I'm not convinced the names were bad enough to warrant the potential disruption to our users.  But having the forwarder/deprecation functions allow us to mitigate the impact on users.