Interest in a Windows Search cmdlet?

Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 31, 2006 at 5:51 PM

I've previously written a Powershell cmdlet for querying the Windows Desktop Search 2.6 index.

I'm in the processing of updating it to work with the updated API for Windows Search 3.0 which is included in Vista and is available as a download for XP/Server2003.

Would there be any interest in having this cmdlet added to the PowerShell Community Extensions?

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:33 PM
You betcha! We even have a work item created for this feature (not that any work has been done on it yet):

We do want to release a 1.1 version of PSCX before the end of January to coincide with the Vista release of PowerShell. We could set you up with a private branch to develop cmdlet on and then when it is ready, we can merge it into the Trunk.
Jan 1, 2007 at 5:27 PM
Want me to add you as a contributor to this project?
Jan 3, 2007 at 8:59 AM
Yes please do.

I'll add some more details to the work item to let everyone know what my plans are.
Jan 3, 2007 at 6:36 PM
OK you're on the team. BTW can we consider two cmdlets? One to search locally and the other to search the internet? Say something like: Search-Computer and Search-Internet. It could also be interesting at some point to allow folks to plug in different search engines behind these cmdlets but WDS or the Vista equivalent is a fine one to start with.