How to quit "Less" should doc'ed in the readme

Topics: User Forum
Oct 26, 2007 at 10:05 PM
I've being playing with PSCX now for about a week now; first impressions like meeting people are important with software also. The first thing I did was to see what PSCX offered by typing

1# help about_pscx

This printed out a whole bunch of stuff but left me with the prompt (END). This is not the behavior that I'm using to for a "paging" program and most definitly not what "more" does I noticed that the title was "Less" (nice tongue and cheek) . After Ctrl-C out of it I type help less which was a unless exercise; less -? told me to type less ---help unfortunately this gave me the same answer: Missing filename ("less --help" for help)

I did find a lot of information while in Less by typing 'h' but how were you to know this other than guessing?

My main gripe is that you hooked into Help without telling me, the behavior is different, and I was given no warning or explaination on how to quit Less. The tool is great but let us know how to quit. Less -? should also like all the built-in PS cmdlets give the same information has 'h' within Less or at the very least tell you how to find help

thx
bob
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM
FYI we are looking at replacing less.exe with a native cmdlet that does paging. Not sure if it will make it. If not, we'll try to do better on documenting the use of less.
Nov 20, 2007 at 4:11 PM
how about just replacing the text END with
Ctrl-C to END
Nov 21, 2007 at 5:14 AM
It's telling that I posted pretty much the same problem description the other day, without noticing this earlier one. It's a significant issue.

I don't think that the solution recommended by this thread's subject line is adequate. The typical new user is not going to carefully read every line of the readme (unless it is just a few lines) before getting into the product. And they should need to.

I'll reiterate what I said in my post: PSCX should not re-alias "help". It's just too fundamental to be messed with. Not without confirmation, anyway.

In addition, I agree that a replacement for Less would be good. Less is an editor, and we don't need an editor for viewing help. IMO, something with just pgUp and pgDown would be terrific. Escape to exit would be the cherry on top. No more needed.
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Well I would like to see at least the abillity to scroll up and down line by line as well as Home and End to go to the very top an bottom respectively. I still think the search feature is nice and as long as it doesn't get in the way I don't see any harm in it. I do agree we need to be more transparent in terms of what PSCX does to your PowerShell setup as well as give you more control. And yeah, using escape to exit help would be very intuitive. :-)
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2007 at 5:53 AM

Less is an editor, and we don't need an editor for viewing help.

BTW Less is not an editor and works very much in the same vein as the more utility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_%28Unix%29
Nov 24, 2007 at 3:18 PM
Whoops, of course you are right. I had just scanned the help and mis-interpreted the meaning of "Changing files".

rkeithhill wrote:

Less is an editor, and we don't need an editor for viewing help.

BTW Less is not an editor and works very much in the same vein as the more utility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_%28Unix%29