Feedstore Provider should implement IContentCmdletProvider

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Sep 13, 2007 at 6:44 PM
IContentCmdletProvider and IPropertyCmdletProvider actually. I mean, the file system implements both, the registry only does IPropertyCmdletProvider... but I think it's worth implementing both on FeedStore:

• The FeedStore should return from get-property the way that it does from get-childitem: Name, Title, Author, Pubdate ....
  • The FeedStore should return the content of the Description property when asked to get-content. You could arguably return the TITLE followed by a empty line and THEN the description, except most feeds embed HTML in the Description content, and our users could conceivably take advantage of that (but not if you include the Title).
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2007 at 8:31 PM
Honestly I don't use the Windows Feedstore - I prefer Newsgators "feedstore in the clouds" approach. If you want to fix this, please feel free to convert this to a work item and assign it yourself to fix.
Developer
Sep 16, 2007 at 1:54 AM
Fair enough :)

I actually put this here partly "for the record" because I think that we (PowerShell users in general, not PSCX in particular) have too many of these half-finished providers that let you get at the data, but not actually use it in a compatible sort of way. Maybe Oisin is rubbing off on my with all of his talk about using proper PS paths and being provider agnostic -- hard to be provider agnostic when on one provider I have to get-property and on another I have to get-content, and on a third I have to (get-ChildItem).Description ....
Developer
Sep 16, 2007 at 1:55 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2007 at 2:00 AM
Thanks! I agree with you on the half-finished providers etc. That's where I struggle with deciding what to accept from folks interested in contributing to PSCX. PSCX devs should feel free voice opinions on this especially when they think that something does not belong in PSCX.