Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jun 9, 2007 at 4:52 AM
With dot sourcing being so popular, and with having less and less need for tons of code, add in the reusability of PowerShell, and viola! But ... it would be great if there were cmdlets for checking source code (scripts) in to and out of a source control program such as cvs, subversion, or even sccs for Windows! Something similar to get-sourcecode and put-sourcecode, or something similar?

Just an idea, if anyone wants to take it on.

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:06 PM
I'm not arguing against doing this particular thing, ok (lets get that straight and out of the way) but I'm just using it as an opportunity to ask:

Given that there are CLI applications which do this already (and which work from powershell, and could be scripted etc.), what criteria would you use to decide it was worth (or not worth) rewriting them as cmdlets?

The main thing that comes to mind for me would be whether there's something useful that I could "return" which would be better as an object than as the text which existing CLI apps inevitably return. I mean, obviously it would also be nice if there was a Verb-Noun command that took -parameters properly and supported -whatif and -confirm ... but if that's all there is to it, maybe it could be done as a couple of scripts (which perhaps are easy enough for someone less code-proficient to whip up, freeing developers to work on more ... juicy things).

In attempt to at least pretend to be on-topic: in the specific case of source control, the function of the check-in/check-out process is the files getting into the repository, or onto my hardrive ... the actual pipeline output is just a confirmation (or error) message ... which would be text even if we wrote it as a cmdlet -- so I guess I did argue against it after all :-/ -- My take on is that we ought to encourage people writing source control clients (in .net) to write them with a cmdlet base (think of the way the Exchange administration is done), but that it's not worth creating a whole new client just to get the cmdlets.
Jun 13, 2007 at 3:59 AM
At one time I had started down this path for Team Foundation. I'm glad I stopped. I don't think that this sort of product specific functionality belongs in PSCX. Perhaps another CodePlex PowerShell cmdlet project to support a particular SCM product. I'm hopeful that Microsoft is going to provide some sort of PowerShell support for Team Foundation SCM.