Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM
Just out of curisoity - is a "Split-String" cmdlet really necessary, given the existing Split() method intrinsic to the string type? Or were you thinking of some other split-ish funcitonality?
Aug 21, 2006 at 8:15 PM
I'm no authority, but it would probably depend on the user. Personally I would use the Split method.

However, I would tell a new scripting user to use Split-String command vs explaining the details of string's Split() method, assuming Split-String was readily available. This seems easier...
Aug 22, 2006 at 12:08 AM
Join-String is something I've been wanting for a while and I've been programming .NET since the 2000 PDC. I don't mind so much having to drop down to do .NET programming but if there is a CMDLET I would use it first. Split-String seemed like it would be expected given a Join-String CMDLET. I also think that there are a number of admins who would appreciate not having to do .NET programming for common tasks.
Aug 22, 2006 at 3:10 PM
Could also, I guess, extend the string type and add a Join method. I do like how PSH's expandable in so many different ways - I have a script that does a lot of e-mail address verification, so I added an IsEMail method to the string type. Very useful.