SFX Setup & Icon

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Mar 7, 2007 at 2:42 AM
Hi guys, I've managed to workaround the Vista and x64 issues. The MSI file and the setup.exe are packaged in an IExpress self-extracting archive, along with a PostInstall.cmd batch file, which registers the snapin using the 64-bit InstallUtil on an AMD64 machine. The archive also contains a manifest for the setup.exe, therefore it gets both the elevation (since Vista recognizes setup.exe) and the nice themed controls (which are not enabled in a plain VS-setup). We have to redistribute only the final PowerShellCX.exe.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:01 AM
Excellent! Can we stick the version number in the name of the exe? It helps when you're messing with different versions (like when doing install testing). Is this checked in or is this something that I'll need to get you to create and check in after we're satisfied that things are working? BTW if you could grab the latest bits and create an installer and perhaps email it to me I can do some install testing on it.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:03 AM
BTW are you done with New-HelpSkeleton.ps1? As we get close to labelling this branch as the 1.1 I would like to make sure there are no pending edits. Right now that is the last file with a pending edit.
Developer
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:03 AM
The sfx archive should be created by the PscxSetup post-build event automatically, can you test it please? IIRC the IExpress tool is part of Windows since IE4, maybe even IE3.
I am afraid it will be hard to change the generated version info, IExpress does not seem to support embedding of custom version info.
Developer
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:07 AM
Ahhh, I have the New-HelpSkeleton checked out on some other machine, and the changes are far from being done. If you are able to cancel the edit, please do so.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:52 AM
We should be able to just change the filename to PowerShellCX1.1Setup.exe right? I've undone your changes to New-HelpSkeleton.ps1.
Developer
Mar 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM
Renamed to PowerShellCX-1.1.exe
Developer
Mar 7, 2007 at 2:18 PM
Anything I can do to help? I only have winxp pro sp2 and win 2003 sp1. Oh, and QNX, but I don't think that's much good. ;)
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2007 at 4:22 PM
The more testing we can do, the better. The install and help need testing. And of course, just playing around with the various cmdlets, filters, functions and scripts would be good too. :-)