Win7 RC Installation

Topics: User Forum
May 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I'm new to pscx so likely did not understand/do this correctly...

I unzipped Pscx-PowerShell-v2-Windows7RC-Module.zip and copied to the "My Documents\WindowsPowershell\Modules" folder and then did an import-module on pscx which did not work. I first placed the actual unzipped folder Pscx-PowerShell-v2-Windows7RC-Module there then tried just the pscx child folder removing the parent folder. If I remember correctly, in the first case i got a complaint about the pscx module not found and in the second case, gots lots of no signature errors.

The PSCX-1.2.msi file seemed to install fine. Hope it was OK to install with THAT under Win7 RC rather than just unzipping and importing. It was easier and seemed to work so wonder why the unzip method would be suggested for Win7.

Also, I was expecting the install to append to my Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1 file in my documents PS folder but it created a profile.ps1 file instead. Which one is run first and what is the convention of using one vs. the other?

Thanks, Dave

Developer
May 17, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Hey Dave,

I'll update the Download page for 1.2 with some more explicit instructions/troubleshooting for getting the module working.

-Oisin

May 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I'm good with having run the .msi though right? Thanks!

Coordinator
May 18, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Edited May 18, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Running the MSI at this point is preferrable.  The ZIP'd module is more like an alpha than a beta.  :-)  But the module is a must for folks who can't elevate (and therefore can't install the MSI) to be able to access PSCX features.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM

And why don't you tell that on the download page for 1.2 Production. There I got the impression that Pscx-PowerShell-v2-Windows7RC-Module.zip is the correct choise for Windows 7 RC. By the way PSCX-1.2.msi runs without problems.

Developer
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I guess we could make it clearer. However, the RC of Windows is itself not production, so I figured the implication was there.

UPDATE: I've re-jigged the release notes to make it clearer that the MSI is preferred for the full pscx experience.