Why isn't there a simple ZIP download?

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Jan 2 at 4:36 PM
I understand why you made an MSI (although it didn't seem to work for me: the PSModulePath didn't seem to be changed), but I don't understand why you don't offer a simple zipped folder as an option for people who actually know what they're doing.
Coordinator
Jan 2 at 5:39 PM
WiX does modify the PSModulePath but it seems you need to log out and back in before it takes effect. I didn't do a zip because I got tired of answering questions about errors people were getting due to not unblocking the zip. However once you have it installed it would be easy to create a zip. Are you asking because you need a link to a zip?

Keith

Sent from my Surface 2

Developer
Jan 4 at 4:42 PM
I'm asking because
  1. Install From MSI
  2. Find Module
  3. Copy to My Module Path
  4. Uninstall Module
Was the most complicated way I ever had to install a module ;-)
Developer
Jan 22 at 9:21 PM
Edited Jan 22 at 9:47 PM
There's an API to tell explorer that a persistent environment variable has been changed. It seems like the new MSI probably isn't invoking it.

I think what's missing may be an "WriteEnvironmentStrings" entry in the InstallExecuteSequence table.

Here's a relevant article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/alexshev/archive/2008/03/28/from-msi-to-wix-part-13-installable-items-environment-variable.aspx

The other alternative would be to install the PSCX module into the existing PS directory structure. I kinda like that approach.
Coordinator
Jan 22 at 9:33 PM
Edited Jan 22 at 9:35 PM
Oops, replying towrong question ... Thanks for the pointer. I was also going to upgrade to WiX 3.8 and see if that helps. I'll take a look at that. Also with 4.0, there is a decent default landing spot for shared modules (besides $pshome\Modules - blech!). I'll look at that at well if I can easily determine if 4.0 is installed.
Developer
Jan 22 at 9:53 PM
Edited Jan 22 at 10:03 PM
I doubt WiX 3.8 will change anything, this is a classic problem that predates WiX entirely.

What's the 4.0 feature you are referencing? I'm primarily using PowerShell 3.0 for now. (Online service - stability is paramount.)

What's your concern with using $pshome\Modules? It seems like unique module names are a near-requirement, no matter what path-based directory they appear in. If someone else chooses to name their module PSCX, there's going to be trouble no matter what.
Coordinator
Jan 22 at 11:20 PM
Thanks for the heads on WiX 3.8. I look at the article as it is very bothersome that a sign out is required to recognize the env var update.
Coordinator
Feb 2 at 7:56 PM
The PSModulePath variable in V4, now includes this location by default:
C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules
It would seem if we installed into this location, there would be no need to fiddle with the PSModulePath env var - at least not for PowerShell v4 installations.