using PSCX on Government computing equipment

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Does anyone have experience using PSCX in Government environments?

Is it cleared for use at non-clearance facilities?

I am asking whether this software is already on the approved list of software or not and if not, is it just because this has not been asked before?

The extensions look like they would be great and maybe ought to be a core part of the Windows PowerShell itself and I mean this as a compliment!

Anyone have any information about using this on government contracts, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark R.

Developer
Aug 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

You might want to qualify your question with a country. Most countries have governments ;)

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

My question is specifically for whether anyone might have experience with the use of PSCX in/on US Government systems/projects.

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.

Mark

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Hi Mark,

I haven't heard of anybody doing this.  I appreciate the vote of confidence in PSCX. 

BTW I love it whenever I see cmdlets that first appeared in PSCX show up in the PowerShell such as Start-Process, Select-Xml and Unblock-File.  :-)

Keith

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Thanks Keith,

If the community gives the ok, I would like to have PSCX reviewed for use at our location. 

We have evaluated the Write-Zip cmdlet and have done a proof of concept using PSCX features for supporting some needed functionality.

To move forwards with getting approval with this, I would need permission for use of PSCX and even though the MS Public License on PSCX allows for this, I would also like to know that the community is fine with this.

Keith, can you send me your preferred email so that I can contact you directly about the next steps with this.

Thanks again to the entire community for your help,

Mark Ruddock

Developer
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Incidentally, you might want to build the latest from the 2.1 branch. There was a critical bugfix for Write-Zip that prevented it from using -Append and -FlattenPaths together.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Thanks much,

Yes, I did indeed see that the -Append -Flattenpaths was corrected and was about to ask about a date of release but it seems that the best option for us is to build 2.1 with the correction(s) from source.

Could you point me to information on how to build PSCX from the 2.1 release branch?  I have pscx-99185 downloaded and I have vs 2010 on my machine.  However, I am not fully sure of the steps involved and I have not yet found the build instructions on the PSCX site.

Any help you might give is greatly appreciated,

Mark

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

FYI, I'm working on getting a code signing cert that we can use to sign the 3.0 MSI installer and the scripts.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

That is awesome news about the code signing certs.

I have approval for use of PSCX now, pending review by the security group. Everything is signed and setup to run in the security policy of restricted.

I think we may need to wait till Monday for the official version but I am trying to build the project/solution under VS 2010 but I am running into trouble on the build.

I want to do some more tests of the scripts I wrote using PSCX and the paths need to be suppressed in the archives we are building.

I learned a great deal from doing the self-signed certificate work. I really appreciate the help and am grateful for the use of this awesome library that the PS Community has built!

If I might, I would love to learn more about being a part of the community.

Thanks very much Keith,

Mark

Mark Ruddock

Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 12:19 PM
To: mark.ruddock@comcast.net
Subject: Re: using PSCX on Government computing equipment [Pscx:390295]

FYI, I'm working on getting a code signing cert that we can use to sign the 3.0 MSI installer and the scripts.

Developer
Aug 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Cool!

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM, r_keith_hill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Pscx@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Pscx@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--

---
404 signature missing