feedstoreprovider exception bug?

Topics: User Forum
Jan 22, 2007 at 1:08 PM
Not sure how the formatting will show... Seems the feedstoreprovider has some small problems when one goes in to a folder?

16> dir

Type Name ItemCount UnreadItemCount
---- ---- --------- ---------------
feed A PowerShell Adventure 7 0
folder Powershell 269 0

17> cd powershell
18> dir
Get-ChildItem : The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007B)
At C:\Program Files\PowerShell Community Extensions\Scripts\Dir.ps1:18 char:15
+ get-childitem <<<< $args -ea silentlycontinue | sort @{e={$.PSIsContainer}; asc=$false},@{e={$.Name}; asc=$tru
19> ls

Type Name ItemCount UnreadItemCount
---- ---- --------- ---------------
feed Windows PowerShell 47 0
feed ::::::::: PowerShell ::::::::: 25 0
Get-ChildItem : The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007B)
At line:1 char:2
+ ls <<<<

When I go into a dir, then ls, I get all the entries, but also an exception error after all are listed.
Jan 22, 2007 at 7:24 PM
That's really weird! I haven't seen that error myself, and the feedstoreprovider is something I play around with every day.

Can anyone else corroborate this? Maybe we can narrow it down to something on Marko's machine?
Jan 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM
Oops - MarCo, sorry! :)
Jan 23, 2007 at 12:14 AM
i am quite suspicious about the feed called "::::::::: PowerShell :::::::::". the colons might confuse powershell...
Jan 23, 2007 at 1:19 AM
I removed the :::PowerShell::: entry...

Same thing happens. Try to remove others?
Jan 23, 2007 at 3:39 AM
Can you post a transcript of the error occurring now (having removed the "::::: PowerShell :::::" feed)? Similar to the one above, so we can see what (if anything) gets listed before the error.
Jan 23, 2007 at 11:41 AM
Believe it or not... Blame /\/\o\/\/... His old blog with the title "/\/\o\/\/ PowerShelled" is the one causing the exception.
Jan 23, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Ah, so the slashes must be causing it grief. I wonder what I can do about that.
Jan 23, 2007 at 8:12 PM
escaping them? or leaving them out altogether?
Jan 23, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Ok, here's the weird thing.

I can't subscribe to /\/\o\/\/'s blog with the backslashes in it. IE7 doesn't let me. It removes the backslashes when I try, and doesn't let me rename the feed and insert the backslashes.

Have you maybe been subscribed to that particular blog since a beta of IE7, which might have allowed the backslashes?
Jan 24, 2007 at 2:09 PM
I've got IE 7.0.5730.11, and have no problems subsribing to MoW's ATOM feed.

I retried it again with no problems/errors.

I originally subscribed with this same IE 7 version.
Jan 24, 2007 at 8:48 PM
Can you post the URL of the ATOM feed itself? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot.

You're just clicking the "Subscribe to this feed" link at the top of the feed, right? And hitting OK on the dialog that pops up? And the resulting feed actually has backslashes "\" in its name?
Jan 24, 2007 at 11:17 PM
Yup, just the atom link at the top:

The resulting entry in my feeds in IE though, drops the backslashes, and actually replaces them with forward slashes!
Jan 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. In fact, I'm not sure that it's replacing them at all - I think it's just dropping them. When I attempt to subscribe, this is the name it suggests:

/ / o / / PowerShelled

So it looks like it's replacing the backslashes with spaces.

Still - I'll subscribe with that name and see if it's the slashes causing problems.
Jan 24, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Ok - I see what's happening. Something about the way PowerShell handles slashes is stuffing us up.

Run this in your PowerShell folder:

gci -debug

... and eventually as you step through each item, you find this:

DEBUG: Getting name for PowerShell\\ \ o \ \ PowerShelled

So it has converted the slashes in the name of the feed to backslashes! And of course PoSH doesn't like that particular "filename".

I'm not sure how to "escape" a slash. The backtick character that PoSH uses to escape other special characters has no effect. Any attempt to look at a file with a slash in its name will convert the slash to a backslash and then find nothing.

Any ideas guys? I might post to the PoSH newsgroup and see what The Powers That Be have to say.