Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 29, 2006 at 9:20 PM
ok guys, there is the new help infrastructure. please check the script-generated xml files for your cmdlets in the Pscx\Help directory. i know it is not as easy to update as the original attributes were, but we can put much more text data in there. you can start removing the following attributes from cmdlets and parameters:

• Description
  • DetailedDescription
  • DefaultValue

you should also remove the HelpMessage named properties from Parameter attributes.

when you are creating a new command, place a xml file named after the commands full type name in the help directory. do not forget to make it a embedded resource
Dec 30, 2006 at 12:47 AM
better do not remove anything yet, since Reinhards branch is not included. we will generate the xml one more time, after all branches are merged into the trunk.
Dec 30, 2006 at 2:46 AM
Speaking of Reinhard's branch, I think his three cmdlets (Get-ADObject/DhcpServer/DomainController) would go in the Commands.Net dir/namespace. Thoughts?
Dec 30, 2006 at 3:07 AM
how about DirectoryServices?
Dec 30, 2006 at 4:05 AM
Works for me. Does the new help infrastructure have an equivalent for the AcceptsWildcardsAttribute and RelatedLinkAttribute? Better yet, can you point to an XML file that is fleshed out with all the bells and whitles (Notes, InputValue, Return Value, etc).
Dec 30, 2006 at 4:28 AM
Also, regarding:

cd $PscxRoot\PscxHelp
The script generates the MAML file and the file. You need to checkout the files first before running the script.

What if we created a PostBuild event to run the Update-PscxHelp script. I think we should also consider removing those two files (Pscx.dll-help.xml and from the repository since they will be auto-gen'd from now on. Hopefully the PscxSetup project won't mind if those files are in place by the time it runs. I just hate having to take too many special steps to do a release. It would be realy nice if all the necessary stuff just popped out of a Release build. Thoughts?
Dec 30, 2006 at 1:47 PM
AcceptsWildcards and RelatedLink are still supported. i agree we should set this as a post build event.

the script saves the full xml in Output\MergedHelp.xml. the InputValue and Return Value are not supported yet...
Jan 17, 2007 at 1:51 AM
actual status: examples are supported, help generating scripts seem to work, and there are template files in Help directory, generated from the custom attribute metadata.

i would start disposing of the HelpMessages and DescriptionAttributes after we make the 1.1 branch. please do not make any changes to them anymore, since they aren't going to be processed again
Jan 17, 2007 at 1:52 AM
to update the about_pscx.txt and the dll help file, check out and rebuild the PscxHelp project