where to start?

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Dec 28, 2006 at 10:17 PM
So guys,

After spending an hour or so browsing through the codebase, I'm impressed at the organization and thought that has gone into it. Well done keith and jachymko!

I also came to the realisation that if I'm going to integrate my cmdlets properly, I really should be using your base classes and contributing to them where neccessary to support any reusable and value-adding features I may employ in my cmdlets. Some questions:

- do I add my cmdlets to commands\ in pscxdeveloper to prototype and test?

- do we have regression test scripts, and/or plans for nunit/mbunit tests in the future?

- any hints and/or tips on how best to approach my integration?

- I'm going to add the archive cmdlets to commands\filesystem\compression - do you agree?

that's a start anyway, and hopefully I'll be able to spend more time on this, wife-permitting. The last two months have been hell in work but the worst is over now, so lets get back to the givin' ;)

- Oisin
Coordinator
Dec 28, 2006 at 10:51 PM
- do I add my cmdlets to commands\ in pscxdeveloper to prototype and test?

No add them to Pscx\Commands\FileSystem\Compression. If you don't think they will be ready by the end of January when we hope to ship PSCX 1.1 to support PoSH on VISTA, let me know. I'll create a private developer branch for you as a sandbox until you are ready to merge your cmdlets into the trunkg.

- do we have regression test scripts, and/or plans for nunit/mbunit tests in the future?

Yes but barely. I justed created a NUnit based test project last night (Pscx_UnitTests). Take a look at the checkin comments on changeset 14976.

- any hints and/or tips on how best to approach my integration?

It depends on what the input parameters look like. If you accept primarily paths to files then inherit from PscxPathCommandBase. If you take paths to files and handle generic input objects then derive from PscxInputObjectPathCommandBase. Take a look at some of the other cmdlets that now inherit from these to see how to use the base classes properly. At the very least, if none of these meet your needs, derive from PscxCmdlet.

- I'm going to add the archive cmdlets to commands\filesystem\compression - do you agree?

Sounds good to me.