Interested in contributing (novice though)

Topics: Project Management Forum
Dec 11, 2006 at 6:34 PM
I am interested in contributing. I do like PSH lots. Now my remaining thing is learning C#. I'm always in need of something to push me into learning new stuff.

I'll check out the dev guide, as well as any items perhaps on a 'future release' wish list to see where I might be able to get started.

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:40 PM
Do you mind if I review your work to ensure good quality for PSCX? If that's OK with you then give me your CodePlex username and I'll add you to the project.
Dec 13, 2006 at 12:54 AM
Codeplex username is marcoshaw.

I don't mind you reviewing any of my code. I welcome it...

It may be a few months (hopefully!) before I get more familiar with PSH and C#.
Dec 13, 2006 at 3:14 PM
You've been added.
Dec 29, 2006 at 5:47 PM
You may remove my name from the project. I'll never have enough time to contribute anything useful.

I don't know what I was thinking...
Dec 31, 2006 at 7:52 PM
I know how that goes. It's hard to find enough time in the day for everything we would like to do, eh? I'll remove your name but if you do find some free time and want to contribute, just let me know.
Jan 2, 2007 at 7:46 PM
I would be interested in contributing to PSCX. (username: MNBooZe)
Jan 4, 2007 at 6:33 AM
What sort of cmdlet did you have in mind to implement?
Feb 21, 2007 at 10:19 PM
I'd also be interested in contributing. I've got a set path management commands similar to the "pathman" utility that might be a start: Get-Path, Add-Path, Remove-Path, etc. These are written in .ps1, though I'm also an experienced C# dev.
Feb 22, 2007 at 7:44 AM
Hi Burt, we alreay have an Add-PathVariable function:

function Add-PathVariable($Variable, $Values) {
	$paths = @()
	if (test-path "Env:\$Variable") {
		$paths = (get-item "Env:\$Variable").Value.Split(';')
	$newvar = @($paths + $values) | Select-Object -Unique
	$ofs = ';'
	set-item "Env:\$Variable" "$newvar"
However we don't have the others. We are getting close to wrapping up the 1.1 release and I don't want to rock the boat too much. Would you mind holding off for a few weeks. Then you can start in earnest working on the next release with us?
Feb 25, 2007 at 4:50 AM
That's the basic idea, by the one I've done has additional features:
- Can manipulate current, machine, or user environment varaible
- Allows prepend or append
- Scan existing items on the list, validating them
- Eliminates duplicates using case-insenstive logic
- Compresses the environment variable using Get-ShortPath (and expands them for display/comparison)

I'll hold off if you want. I'm looking forward to that 1.1 release.
Feb 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM
He can work on the next release already, can't he? We have the 1.1 branch, so boat-rocking in the trunk won't affect it.
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:34 PM
Yeah that would be fine. I'm just really itchy to get 1.1 out! There's a ton of new stuff that I'd like to make available to folks. :-)
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:36 PM
OK Burt, you have been added. Please read the Developer guidelines via the Home page. They're probably a bit out of date but a good place to start anyway. Please restrict you work to the Trunk dir. We are finalizing the 1.1 release in $/PowerShellCX/Branches/Release/1.1.
Mar 4, 2007 at 4:20 AM
Thanks guys. I've synced on the trunk, and I'll start reading the guidelines and looking around. Good luck with 1.1, I'd offer to help but I suspect it's just best to keep out of your way.
May 19, 2007 at 9:05 PM
OK, I've been meaning to contribute here, time I got started. I posted my first changeset, # 22683 & 22684, a little fix in Get-LoremIpsum. Its a lightweight change, but I'd like a review to make sure I'm working within the process you're expecting.

If there are some bugs and/or features you'd like help on, I'm up for it. I filed a bug on get-screenhtml, and I'd like to take a swing at "Make a cmdlet from Get-ScreenHtml "for 1.2, but its currently assigned to jachymko.
May 19, 2007 at 9:08 PM
One other thought as to an area I might contribute. It seems like PSCX is a bit lightweight on intro & overview docs, and I'm thinking it might be good to start building this up as wiki pages in this project.
May 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM
Burt, the fix to Get-LoremIpsum looks good to me. And your merge to trunk of that fix looks good i.e. you merged just that changeset instead of all changesets. Go for it on Get-ScreenHtml. I haven't heard from Jachym lately so apparently his day job is keeping him pretty busy. If you have code you want reviewed, let me know. BTW do you want to fix the Get-ScreenHtml.ps1 script angle bracket issue? :-) Oh yeah, feel free to update/add documentation. Thanks for your help!
Sep 12, 2007 at 1:57 PM
anything new on this (both *-Path and ScreenHtml)?
Sep 15, 2007 at 7:02 PM
Not that I'm aware of.