Network based providers

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 1, 2007 at 9:08 PM
(C#/.NET novice)

What are your thoughts on adding providers for FTP, POP3, and IMAP (did I leave any out)? Would we want to consider putting together a network library first?
Sep 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Having a "netcat" like commandlet sounds nice for me.

A PsProvider for ftp would be cool as well (if it allows copying from/to the normal filesystem. But I don't know what a pop3/imap provider would be good for.

mihi
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2007 at 11:20 PM
I'm with mihi - I think FTP provider would be nice but not sure about pop3/imap. I would also like to see the network libary fleshed out to provide basic REST-style operations (Get-Url, Set-Url, Remove-Url, Append-Url (post), Get-UrlHeaders).
Developer
Sep 12, 2007 at 4:03 PM
I think FTP would be awesome, but I also think IMAP would be. I'm not sure about POP3, because the connection model is a bit hard, but IMAP would map quite nicely to the way the registry provider or even XML files work: a list of folder and files, and the ability to get an email object out. The only problem I would foresee is that you would need an "email" object to return with properties for headers (eg: to/from/cc) and methods like reply/delete ...
Developer
Sep 12, 2007 at 6:49 PM
dont forget that powershell does not support moving or copying items between providers :-(
Sep 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM
Awesome ideas. I'd add SCP too but I know that's a deeper set of protocol snaggles. I'm all over the netcat stuff too.
Developer
Sep 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM

jachymko wrote:
dont forget that powershell does not support moving or copying items between providers :-(

Well, you could still do something like this ...
new-PsDrive Jaykul@HuddledMasses ....
ls Jaykul@HuddledMasses:\
gc Jaykul@HuddledMasses:\134 | sc C:\Users\Joel\Documents\EmailFromBoss.txt