Wiki documentation for PowerShell Communitity Extensions

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Developer
Aug 16, 2007 at 1:45 AM
Edited Aug 16, 2007 at 2:25 AM
I'd like to suggest we leverage the wiki features of codeplex as a documentation mechanism. I'm not looking to replace the PowerShell help, rather someting that would compliment it, providing easy-to-edit overview and example usage.

Here's an initial cut at a PSCX Overview topic, with a little bit of content below it. Does this sort of approch make sense?
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:28 AM
I like the idea of online documentation. I just wish there was a more automate way to pull the documentation from our source and update the online content (like we do with our about_pscx.txt help file - it's 100% auto-generated except for a header/footer section).
Developer
Aug 20, 2007 at 3:04 PM
Agreed. I could imagine coming up with some automated way, but I think the biggest challenge would be how to merge the documentation generated from sources with the looser Wiki-Style content.

My initial thought was to keep them seperate: reference docs extractacted from sources, more conceptual stuff (overview and usage examples) online via the Wiki. Its not perfect, but this way I though a versioning issue could be addressed: Developers working on new features typically don't need the conceptual/overview stuff, but can contribute to the detailed reference material about each CmdLet. Once a release implementing the new features has been made public, we'd start weaving it into the Wiki documentation.

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:29 PM
I say make it easy for us to contribute now (i.e. support a wiki)...figure out a way to pull it in automatically later.
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM
Well beggers can't be choosers - that's for sure. Wiki documentation, even if it isn't auto-generated, is better than no online docs. :-)