first impression--screen full of errors upon install

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 27, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Edited May 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Hi, I'm a relative powershell newbie but I heard good things about PSCX so thought I'd check it out. I followed the recommendation of the installer and created the sample profile. When I next tried running PS, I get a screen full of errors like this:

Update-FormatData : Cannot find path 'D:\FormatData\FileSystem.ps1xml' because
it does not exist.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:103
char:19

I've tried it on two computers and both exhibit the same flaw. So--two questions for you guys:

1. How do I fix this? I bet it's something simple, but I'm at the bottom end of the learning curve here and it might take me a while to figure it out.

2. Is this a known issue and will it be fixed in the next point release? Fairly important bug I'd say.

P.S. I did try searching but didn't find much.

Full error output:

Update-FormatData : Cannot find path 'D:\FormatData\FileSystem.ps1xml' because it does not exist.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:103 char:19
+ Update-FormatData <<<< -PrependPath "$Env:PscxHome\FormatData\FileSystem.ps1xml"
Update-FormatData : Cannot find path 'D:\FormatData\Reflection.ps1xml' because it does not exist.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:104 char:19
+ Update-FormatData <<<< -PrependPath "$Env:PscxHome\FormatData\Reflection.ps1xml"
Join-Path : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Path' because it is null.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:137 char:25
+ Push-Location (Join-Path <<<< $Env:PscxHome 'Profile')
The term '.\TabExpansion.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the ter
m and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:138 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\TabExpansion.ps1'
The term '.\GenericAliases.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the t
erm and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:139 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\GenericAliases.ps1'
The term '.\GenericFilters.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the t
erm and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:140 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\GenericFilters.ps1'
The term '.\GenericFunctions.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the
term and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:141 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\GenericFunctions.ps1'
The term '.\PscxAliases.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term
and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:142 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\PscxAliases.ps1'
The term '.\Debug.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and t
ry again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:143 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\Debug.ps1'
The term '.\Environment.VirtualServer.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. V
erify the term and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:144 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\Environment.VirtualServer.ps1'
The term '.\Environment.VisualStudio2005.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file
. Verify the term and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:145 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\Environment.VisualStudio2005.ps1'
The term '.\Cd.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try
again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:146 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\Cd.ps1'
The term '.\Dir.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try
again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:147 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\Dir.ps1'
The term '.\TranscribeSession.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify th
e term and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:148 char:2
+ . <<<< '.\TranscribeSession.ps1'
The term '.\EyeCandy.Keith.ps1' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the t
erm and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:149 char:2
+ . <<<< $PscxEyeCandyScriptPreference
The term 'Add-PathVariable' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term
and try again.
At D:\Documents and Settings\Hal\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\profile.ps1:155 char:17
+ Add-PathVariable <<<< Path $env:PscxHome,$env:PscxHome\Scripts

TIA
Coordinator
May 29, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Have you rebooted your machine? PSCX creates a PscxHome environment variable that doesn't seem to be recognized until a reboot (on some machines - not all). As far as a fix is concern, I wish I could determine when a reboot is really required because I would hate to force a reboot if it isn't necessary.
Coordinator
May 29, 2007 at 12:39 AM
Ya know we can catch that PscxHome is defined in the profile very early and give a better error message e.g. PscxHome enviornment variable not definied, if you have just installed PSCX you may need to reboot your machine.
Coordinator
May 29, 2007 at 12:40 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
May 29, 2007 at 11:22 AM

rkeithhill wrote:
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.

And it's already closed! Can't beat that. Thanks!